Our final morning in Bangkok started late. I guess we were all wasted after the walking and talking and laughing of the night before.
Joy and I bought street food breakfast and Benc had just gotten up just as we returned. That day, we decided to take things slow. So after a late breakfast, we took the short walk to the spa near Joy's house. We were going to get an authentic Thai massage! For two hours!
At first the prices scared me, but when you consider the fact that you'll be spending about P700 for a 2 hour Thai massage by a real Thai masseuse, I figured, nothing in Manila could possibly beat that deal.
So we got to it! We washed our feet first and changed into silk pajamas (this is what I liked. No need to undress and shower, then shower again after). Then we were led into a room where we had separate beds. Then the massage began.
There was no oil, no powder, no lotion. Just their hands and fingers using the smoothness of the silk pajamas to knead sore and tight muscles. It was done a little at a time, sort of like a warm up before a big gym workout. The "little massages" as I call them, serve to loosen you up before the major stretching. It felt so good I actually fell asleep and woke myself up with my own snore. Then all three masseuses started giggling.
The best part of the massage, I must say is when they start yanking at your limbs and making them crack! My favorite is the swinging thing: bubwelo muna sila from left to right then they twist your spine and you hear popcorn in places where you never thought there could be! Aaaahhhh! You felt all light and loosey goosey. Then that wonderful massage is topped off with a hot cup of tea -- oh, priceless.
We left the spa refreshed, re-energized and ready for lunch! We went to Convent road, which was right behind Pat Pong. It was foreigner territory, where most tourists and expats lived. There was a Starbucks and a few other bars. But we went there for the street food! We had some fried dumpling-like snacks with a sweet spicy sauce. Then Joy got us a salad with pork rind, cilantro, peanuts, mango strips, and a whole lot of other good things I can't remember. All I know is all of it together tasted sooooooo gooooood! It amazes me that such simple ingredients can yield something as magnificent as that. Mental note: ask Joy what the Thais call that dish.
We heard mass after that (where they sang Lead Me Lord, the song by Basil Valdez!) then went to Suan Lum for some last-minute pasalubong shopping. I realized this was a good alternative to Chatuchak, in case you can't stand the heat and crowds. But one must expect to spend a little more...about 10 to 30 Baht more.
Joy treated us to dinner after that, at her favorite restaurant, Anna's. We indulged in seafood and vegetables again, and then the maitre 'd, who knew Joy because suki na siya doon, gave us a complimentary slice of cheesecake. Also because Joy said it was Benc's birthday! (And around 5 other tables there that night were celebrating a birthday, too! Haha).
We walked back home, readied our things and rested til around 11.00 pm. I had my coffee with Joy while Benc dozed off. I was glad to have a few minutes left with her, just talking. I think I got a glimpse of what the next few days would be like with an empty house again, after several weekends of people coming and going. I felt a lump in my throat, thinking about it.
As we said our goodbyes, Benc voiced my sentiments: "Nalulungkot ako. Aalis na kami." And there was Joy, directing the taxi driver in her impressive Thai, hugging and thanking us for visiting with her. I don't know if I said enough for her to really understand how grateful and happy I was to spend time with her.
All that I could do was give her an extra long hug and say thank you all over again. It wasn't much, but I meant it from the bottom of my heart. And I hoped it was enough to tide her over til the next visit.
Karp khun kaa, Diva! You'll always be no. 1.
No comments:
Post a Comment