Thursday, May 21

The First Four Weeks

One month ago today I landed in Adelaide, South Australia. It's kind of staggering I've been away from Manila this long. The only other time was when I went on my honeymoon and was abroad for three weeks.

I'm missing the familiar faces and voices of friends and family. I've come to realize how much we take for granted the fact that these people in our lives are around, how they form the cozy security blanket on our subconscious. We know they'll always be there, at a moment's notice, a text or phone call away, even a taxi ride away. But here, I felt that sense of security fall away. I quickly realized that, apart from my husband, no one else in Australia knew or cared that it was my birthday. And that made me miss home, reminding me of all the to-do's attached to it: meeting up with friends and family for birthday dinners or just hanging out together. Even though I laud the internet for its ability to connect people instantly, nothing beats physical proximity: the hugs, the kisses, the laughs. Good thing the hubby gave me more than the normal share on my day. Coupled with all the birthday greetings from everyone I've been missing, I did feel the love blanket warm me against the cold. :)

Now that a new year has begun for me, I plan to make the most of it. Everyday, there's something to look forward to, not least of which is making a trip to the Adelaide Central Market. We live about 60 steps away from the market, and it's glorious! Fresh fruit and veg everywhere; freshly ground coffee beans, a specialty mushroom shop, meats and sausages booths at almost each corner, cheese stalls, Asian foods, confectioneries that blow the mind: you name it, they have it. Well, nearly everything short of a pet shop, haha. They say there are over 250 stalls here, from those selling the raw materials to those selling them cooked and prepared. I love the market because it's clean, and surprisingly, smells sweet! Even if there are more than four large seafood shops, it doesn't smell. There are no fish guts on the floor, no ice spilling to make the paths slippery.

I promise that almost every time I enter the place, I get disoriented. My brain argues with itself whether to browse the fruit stands or go and get a freshly-ground coffee fix. Even though I have a list of things to buy, and my shopping should only take 15 minutes, I usually end up browsing the stalls for nearly 40 minutes!

People here are friendly, always ready to chat you up and help you choose what you need for your dishes. One thing I noticed about them: when you give them your items, and they tell you how much you owe, they always append a "thanks" or "thank you", even before you pay up. And when you do, they thank you again. "That'll be 5.50, thanks!" I find it charming, and I don't know why. Maybe I'm charmed by over-politeness, haha.

I've had to learn how to adjust my speech a little so that they'd understand my English. Most notably, the way words with "a" sound in words like day have to be pronounced as "ie". So "day" is pronounced "die." Words that end in "o" (no, hello, so) are pronounced as if there's a "y" and an "r" at the end. Hence, "noyr," "Helloyr," etc. Most sentences also end on a high intonation, as if you're asking a question. It's fun actually; in fact it's like learning a new language that but one that's extremely familiar. (Is that possible at all? :)) So if I was shopping at the Market, I might say something like, "Helloyr, oyd loyk a half kiloyr uv the chickin brist plyse. Thanks."

Other things that have happened: I finally got my own ATM card! I regard this as an identity-asserting event. It gives me mobility and *ahem* purchasing power. It was rather easy to open an account -- all they needed was my passport. They filled out the forms for me in fact, took time to explain everything to me, changed my dollars at no extra charge and then said my card will be in the mail in a week. Compare this opening a bank account in BDO or any other local bank. What's with the application form in triplicate, two valid IDs and signature samples? Here, all I need to transact with a teller is a secret password, and I am authenticated.

Other things I acquired: my own tax number. This will be important when I finally find work. It was extremely easy: all I had to do was log on to the Australia Tax Office website, answer some questions (especially about my work rights/permits) and voila! My tax number was mailed to me in 8 days. No need to queue up at some faraway government office. No need to bring my birth and marriage certificates, no processing fees to pay, no bureaucracy. And I'm not even a permanent resident.


One of the best things I've done so far: become a member of the public library. It's such a sanctuary. All you need is to fill out a form, and hey presto! you've got your library card. No mess, no fuss, and best of all it's free! You can search their collections online, reserve items from other public libraries in the city, and they can bring it to your home (for a minimum charge) or to the nearest library of your choice for you to pick up. Again, for free. If I wanted to borrow a book right then, I'd scan my library card on a computer, put the items I want on a platform, wait for the beep and a "receipt" comes out of the little machine. I can borrow thirty items at one time! Fabulous! I can loan DVDs, CDs, books. I have five books with me now in fact. And anytime, I can go to the library and use the internet. For free. Oh happiness!

Traveling in Adelaide is pretty accessible as well. The trams are a treat to take because they're pretty fast and incredibly convenient. And clean. Travel from one end of the city center to the other is free in fact, and this passes through the main finance, entertainment, government and university districts. Bus routes, meanwhile, are categorized by zone, which are then assigned numbers. Pick up points are clearly defined, as well as which bus numbers ply which routes. All you have to know are the bus and stop numbers and the time table, which are supplied for free by the city's information center. One can also get tickets here, and consult with the attendants as well, who are all super friendly.

For instance, I had to go to a place outside the city center and needed to take the bus. I went to the info center, and asked the attendant which bus number to take. He pointed these out to me, gave me time tables and directed me to the bus stop across the street. So I took bus number 113 from stop V2 on my way to 103 South Road, Thebarton.

And what was I going to do there? Well, my resume had been shortlisted for a part-time job I applied for. It was exciting actually. I took the bus by myself and had a sort of info-day about the job and the company. It was my first time to actually be in a long, involved conversation with an Australian. The manager's name was Rohan and he was talking about their need for sales and marketing reps. I tried to keep up with his accent and his energy. It took a tenth of a second for some words to register, especially their slang. It didn't help that they were a sports company too, because there was some jargon I just didn't understand. But it's all good. Though I decided the job really wasn't for me, it was good "practice" for the one I know I will eventually get.

The job will be invaluable because it will allow me to pay for even a short course here -- I'm hoping to take something in media, communications or basic programming. It will add to skills and knowledge I already have, but it will also give me a chance to gain some "official" experience here. The books from the library are keeping me company for now, in terms of learning. So I have a lot of reading material to go through (I'm also still finishing another academic paper I was asked to improve before I left Manila). I'm observing the content and production processes of the Australian media. Their commercials are pretty funny, and they range from the campy, amateurish concepts that are unabashedly hard sell to those that are so clever you wished you had thought about it first. But all that's for another post.

I am still sending out my resume, and am excited about getting some work experience here. It will also help augment the "household budget," and help us buy more stuff at the Central Market. And maybe at the mall. Or IKEA. Yehesss, IKEA.

Okay! I think I've droned on long enough. Will be posting more photos and entries soon. Oh and yes, it is winter already. We're experiencing 10-degree evenings already so we have to bundle ourselves up. Like I am now, hehe: 6 layers on top and two below: we've had to buy more thermals already. It's so tempting to sleep in all day, but hey, there's so much to experience so you just have to get up. I guess this is how a hibernating bear feels. At least they get to sleep without any issues. Me, I need my coffee! hahha.

Hope everyone is well, and staying healthy. We're missing everyone and we'd love to hear from you too. Til next post! Ciao!

1 comment:

krangsquared said...

Naks, nakakatuwa naman! I'm so happy for you!!! There's nothing like the shock of the new. I had such a big smile just reading through all your tales. Parang ako when I first arrived here - wide-eyed and in wonderment talaga. It's such a pleasant experience when basic things like trust and honesty are the norm, rather than the exception. (I guess one is a prerequisite of the other)

Good luck sa paghahanap ng trabaho. The lucky company who gets you will be amazed at your talents and experience, I'm sure! (that old bugbear of "local experience" can be such a hurdle though, but maybe less so now than before?)

Aabangan ko ang susunod na kuwento!