Saturday, June 27

Updates from Adelaide

This is volume two of the Adelaide Adventures. Another month has come and gone, and things are settling down for me. I'm getting into the rhythm of the winter days, when the sun sets before five thirty in the afternoon and doesn't show up til 7.30 am the next morning.

Come to think of it, the sun gets more "sleep" than we do! That is, Benc and I.

The past month has been hectic for Benc because of midterms and some final exams in his 6-unit subjects. Programming subjects -- which he has had to reacquaint himself with -- were difficult for him. There was a time when he came home all gray and tired at 8.30 in the morning because he had to finish programming projects in school. This last week was packed with exams and today, on his birthday (oops, tapos na pala), he continued to work. We postponed any grand celebrations for the weekend and next week so that we could enjoy them. But I did cook a mean pasta bolognese, we had sausages and some fruit the night before, and waited for 12 midnight of the 25th. Will share photos of the celebrations soon.

In the meantime, I've been keeping myself busy looking for work still. It's difficult for casuals and those with short term Visas to find a job in this recession. I should have expected it. Despite sending out hundreds of versions of my resume, I still haven't been called to another interview. Getting rejected can be painful I realized, haha. HAven't experienced that in a while I guess. So here it is. I grit my teeth and continue searching. While that's going on, I decided to go ahead and join a gym, and apply for volunteer work. At least there's been some progress with that.

I joined Fitness First Adelaide. BIG MISTAKE. Though their equipment are all state of the art, there are many packages to choose from and the location is VERY near (less than ten minutes' stroll from where we live) it's just too impersonal for me. I mean, in the smaller gyms I've joined in Manila, they would at least take the time to create a basic start-up program with you, with some consultation and orientation on the use of the equipment. At Fitness First, I was totally on my own! What, because I chose the cheapest package (off-peak hours)? And here they were harping on about how customer-oriented they are. It's true what all the reviews about them say: they overcharge, and make it difficult for you to cancel outside of your trial period. I'm still within that grace period, so it's not much of a problem for me. Good thing I experienced it all first hand, and I have no qualms about leaving. At least I get to take the gear (backpack, water bottle, satchel and cap) with me. Hehehehe.

Today I took a trip on one of the free connector buses in Adelaide, and rode to North Adelaide, where the posher suburbs are. I went to the North Adelaide Community Center for a mini-interview, and to see their place. This is where my volunteer work will take place. I signed up to teach computer and web use to citizens who, for some reason or another, have 0 experience with computers. There are some who are as young as 20 years old! Interesting no? This will take up about 1.5 hours a week. I met with Kate, the volunteer coordinator and she took me around their activity hall and their kitchen, their library and oriented me on the idea of the program. Gosh, nakakainggit yung community center nila...it looked like, and was equipped with facilities that are usually reserved for commercial venues. The places that come to mind are those like the Bramante ballrooms, or even the VV Country CLub, or the Makati Sports Club, but BETTER! It's well stocked and clean. There's toilet paper and liquid soap in the bathrooms (which are so clean!) and there are bickies, tea and coffee in the pantry...all for free. Kate says, literally anyone in the community pops in and has a snack there. There are computers that residents can use for free. The NACC pala is also the North Adelaide Library, which is part of the network of libraries in the city, so it's connected to the one I joined a month ago. That means I can use the facilities there too!

The center hosts dancing lessons, board games and mahjong, card games, exercise games and various events -- all for free! Nakakaloka! It makes your heart ache thinking, why were they able to do it and we still can't? We're a much older republic. We have such a rich culture, we're as intelligent and capable as the rest of them, we're caring and patient. We're hard working...and still our local governments have difficulty getting their act together. Hay. Anyway, I'll have more stories about that experience. Needless to say, Kate was more than happy to have another volunteer. She says that the one-on-one computer sessions are their most popular program, and there's a waiting list of thirty people already, and only five volunteers working! I'm going to take an occupational safety and health seminar (for free) at the City Council Office, and then I'll start reporting on July 6. People I meet tell me it's a good way to network and maybe get a foothold in the employment jungle. I'm hoping it is!

This weekend is the last week of the EOFYS -- the End of Financial Year Sale, so all shops are going crazy this weekend to move their stock. We're planning a trip to IKEA and Harbourtown -- a mala-warehouse place of all the branded names but with super low prices, lower even when they're on sale here in Rundle Mall in the city. It's about 20 minutes by bus from where we live, and we're going to have the full-on brekkie at IKEA. Treat na rin for Benc and his classmates, for weathering a slew of difficult exams and projects the last week. Maybe we'll check out what they're willing to give for free, hahaha! I'll take photos and post them on my FB, so that you can check them out.

Oh, and one of the exciting highlights of the day: I actually found manggang hilaw at the Central Market!!!! Wheeeee! But it's so expensive: AU $15 a kilo! So I just bought two -- which amounted to half a kilo. Darn. But anyway, it's all right. We'll have tinola and manggang hilaw for lunch tomorrow, even if it doesn't seem to match. We're all only too happy to have a little taste of home.

Will send updates again soon! Take care everyone, and keep in touch!

1 comment:

Pia said...

hi data! you moved to adelaide pala - it must be a significant change of pace for you! good luck with the job hunt... lots and lots of patience required for that milestone. =)