Monday, September 3

Babae nanaman ang may kasalanan??!!

I am bothered by the series of ads/PSAs of the Catholic Church that have been airing over free tv. It warns against inappropriate dressing while attending church. Normally I wouldn't be so bothered by it, but I think I am disturbed by these ads because of the implications they bring.

1. What is their definition of appropriate dressing?
2. Why are their ads all women-centered? Babae lang ba ang inappropriately dressed?
3. Hopefully the Church doesn't assume everyone can dress according to what THEY think is appropriate. Kasi, paano na yung mga di sing-well off na di kayang mamili ng mga bagong damit?
4. Bakit panglabas na anyo ang tina-target nila? Di ba lumang tugtugin na yan? At bakit ngayon lang ulit? Akala ko ba, sa dinami-dami ng mga sermon nila, na di mahalaga kung anong itsura mo: ang importante ay kung anong nasa puso mo.
5. Bakit laging cleavage ang nakatutok sa mga ads?
6. Bakit di nila gawan ng ads ang mga taong nagse-cellphone habang nagmi-misa, o kaya yung mga nag-iingay tuwing misa?

I am curious to know which agency conceptualized, shot and produced these ads. They're well-made, mind you. Good production values and all. But the message, the content is skewed--IMHO. In this age where we have begun exalting the values and virtues of women in society and nation building, they revert to medieval mindset: women treated as chattel and harbingers of "sin".

Baka din naman, this country, and this religious belief, never let go of the mindset.

No comments: