Friday, October 14

Lolo Julit's Pockets

As benc reached in his pockets to add some coins to the tip he was giving our waiter tonight, I suddenly rememberred Lolo Julit.

I remembered him when I was a little girl, when he came around to the house. I remembered how he smelled cleanly of aftershave and cologne and tobacco, and that old, comforting leathery smell that most lolos have.


Before he'd leave he'd give my brother and I the "lolo kiss". We called it that becasue he was the only one who kissed us like that--on both cheeks, as if breathing us in, as if bringing our essences with him when he left. Afterwards he'd pat the pockets of his pants for us to hear--were there tinkling, jangling coins in there, or were they just his keys? Then he'd reach in and pull out some coins. He'd offer them to me and my brother, sort of like a parting present.

We'd look forward to that each time. In fact we'd pat his pockets sometimes before he did. i remember asking one time, "Lolo, you have coins pa?" and sometimes he'd reply, "Ay, walang pera si loo pangga, eh."

And as Benc left a tip for the waiter, I wondered, how much did Lolo give up when he gave us his coins? Lord knows five pesos bought so much more then than today. Any self-respecting waiter would probably even throw the 5-peso tip back at you. But in those days, for Lolo, one peso would've meant a lot. I wonder what he gave up: his daily coke? five sticks of cigarette? his merienda? his jeepney fare home?

That was so long ago. But i'm glad i remembered him. I'm sure he would've been beside himself with excitement if he was here today, helping me prepare my wedding. It probably would've been the talk of the town in Bugasong! The works! The frills! The papparazzi!

:-D hahaha That also meant there would be more people to invite! But really, it would've been just as grand if he was simply there on my wedding day.

I miss my lolo.

No comments: