Tuesday, November 7

Dinner with Rhona

There are some friends whom you never outgrow. You may not see them for decades, (warning: cliche coming up) but when you do, it's like they were never away!

For some cosmic reason, Rhona and I have always picked up on each other's thoughts. This, despite the fact that before I learned she was getting married last year, we had lost contact for the longest time. I know, I know, it's normal to feel that way -- thinking you can go on talking til the wee hours -- because you have been apart for a long time, and thus have a lot of material to "fill in the spaces". But when that's all used up, there's nothing new to share.

But I think with Rhona, it will always be like there's something new to talk about. Must be those remnants of our high school resonances. It's as Stephen King's character in Stand By Me said: "You'll never have friends like the ones you had when you were 12 years old."

We were both fans of the Ghostbusters in high school, we both loved to read, to write, to look at magazines, had a crush on Michael Keaton (geez). These days, we both still find so many things we both believe in: being in loving, healthy relationships, being intent on developing ourselves, seeing the world, enjoying life's simple pleasures like cool-colored passport holders and a hearty Italian meal over stories of our lives since getting married.

It's like we never left the concrete steps of the SPCP gradeschool parking lot all those years ago. Everything is as it was. And though we live on different sides of the planet, we'll always have our (as now) twenty year-old friendship to keep us connected.

No comments: