Friday, November 3

Maajo!

Perhaps the thing that will strike you most about Bohol is that it is one of the most tourist-friendly places in the Philippines. The people are always smiling and willing to help, always willing to give you an extra treat on them. The province's capital, Tagbilaran, though in the middle of numerous plumbing upgrades and road widening, is clean. It was my first time in Bohol, and suffice it to say, I was impressed with how well the city was run, and how well they took care of visitors. Well, all Filipinos take care of their visitors. But it felt much cozier here.

The food was particularly good -- well, I've always been partial kasi to seafood, and I love sinugba so I was easily won over. It wass also here that I first got a taste of puto maya and tsokolate with ginger! Cool, huh? Puto maya was a really a delicacy. They were a couple of identical-looking equilaterally-shaped rice cakes sweetened with sugar and coconut milk. I guess that's how they coined the saying "gaya-gaya puto maya". But I could be wrong. Will someone correct me please?

I also got to taste their exquisite ube jalaya -- extremely rich and creamy, almost like ice cream but with the characteristic texture and taste of authentic ube halaya, like Tantamco's of Baguio (I've preferred it over Good Shepherd since I was kid. And I still do.) Oh! When in Bohol, try the food at the Buzz Cafe. It's on the ground floor of the ICM Mall (they call it simply ICM). It's menu is predominantly made of and cooked in honey. They have sweet tasting camote bread, pesto and honey butter spread and a great looking and great tasting salad of various greens and flowers that uses a honey vinaigrette. Yummy! Other places to satisfy the travel foodie are: Mira Villa, a place for good sea food, and see-food, for the boys. Hehehe. There's also Jo's Inato for the chicken.

Naturally a trip to Bohol is definitely NOT a trip to Bohol without seeing the world-reknowned Chocolate Hills and visiting with the province's most famous residents, the tarsiers. And I got to do both! We were able to stop for a few minutes at the Chocolate Hills in the town of Carmen and see the hills from the lower viewing deck. There are more or less 1,700 of these limestone formations all over the place. More than the awesome landscape, I was also glad with the way the tourist area was so clean and organized, and the Hills were kept pristine. No squatters setting up residence at the foot of the Hills, no unruly hawkers and noisy stall owners. There were a few souvenir shops though and a nice lady quietly selling ice cream. But that was it. It made visiting such a pleasant and peaceful experience. It is something every Pinoy should see for themselves and be proud of!

The smallest primate in the world lives in Bohol, and it was only right that we say hello. So we travelled to Loboc where, near the river a small "tarsier garden" was being maintained. And oh, was it a high-energy hello. There they were, hanging on to the branches of the low trees in the garden, and I went crazy with photo ops! There was a family of three clumped together. There were some who were hanging solo. There was one in particular that followed me around with his huge eyes as I tried to find a good angle to pose with him. Soon as I clicked away enough, he looked away and minded his own business. We're not supposed to touch them and had to turn off the flash on our cameras. The first time I clicked, the flash was still on! URG! My bad. Good thing he didn't jump on me and throw my camera into the river.

Lesson learned: I am no longer used to my instamatic, particularly my advantix instamatic camera. Use it and kick self for getting bad photos. My butt still hurts by the way. Good thing the wonderful people of PMFI had their trusty digital cameras, and they were able to snap up a couple of good photos for me. Thanks Yas! That experience was unbelievable. It always feels great to see something in the flesh for the first time after seeing it only on tv or in books. There's really nothing like experiential learning. I say, it's the best way to learn. Anything!

On the last day of the workshop, Nancy and I accompanied Yas to Bohol Beach Club over in Panglao Island, an hour's ride from Bohol Tropics where we were staying for the duration of the workshop. It was nice--white sand, peaceful environment, calm waters and a sunny sky. Oh if only I had the strength stroll or even swim, but Nancy and I were craving for rest. So we just took a couple of photos and left Yas to enjoy the time with her family -- Nyla has grown so big!

The beaches seem really clean and well-maintained. The sand is white and fine, but not as polvoron-ish as Boracay. But most any beach is fine with me, as long as there are no litterbugs, and revellers who invade my personal vacation space. This place was a great way to escape the noisy vacationers who also claim to want to leave the noise of the city. Hehe.

I c
an't wait to return to Bohol! And I can't wait to share the experience with my husband as well. I know he would've loved it. Oh well. Next time, we can always stay longer! Daghang salamat Boholanos. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi data! i'm glad you enjoyed bohol and got to see the famous tourist spots. like i said before, i love bohol too. so many things to see and the beaches are not as crowded as boracay is. but you're right, the sand is not as fine but i guess just as white.

you should visit during the summer. try to ride on those boats along loboc river that gives you a tour of the river and it serves buffet lunch while a group of guys serenades you. and ofcourse, go dolphin watching! one of the best bohol treats! :)