I know nearly two weeks have passed, but I think the UP Centennial deserves a blog post.
I attended the opening ceremonies with my siblings and Benc,and we liked the way the show was put together. Of course, being trained in production, I had something to say about the dead air, and the wait they put people through for the torch ceremony. But overall, it was entertaining. I applaud the researchers for finding a 100-year old alumnus.
The best part of the show for me was seeing so many people there. There were (you could tell) alumni who had come from the office, with their briefcases and laptops in tow. THere were currents students, and families...possibly the parent were alumni and were hoping their kids would someday get in to UP too. It felt like EDSA I...so many people in the streets, dancing, singing, laughing, eating fishballs and manggang hilaw.
We cheered when the PEP Squad performed, and I tingled when we sang UP Beloved. But I absolutely wanted to burn the speakers everytime they played the horrible centennial theme song whose awful language I dare not utter here.
I wish they could have publicised this contest more so that more people could join. I wonder who chose this piece as the winner. It feels so elementary. Too literal. The musicality is amateurish. It's sad. It sounds like a jingle from some cheapo advertisement.
*Sigh*
I doubt if Mr. C or Fides A. or even the Eheads had something to say about this. Kasi if they did, I don't think it would be blaring incessantly that night. Kaya lang it did, and we'll be hearing it all year.
But that's all I have to say about that. I tick that as a minor mishap in the whole celebration. There's so much more to look forward to, and I'll focus my energies on that instead.
So here's to all the Iskos and Iskas, and to their parents who helped make it such an illustrious
100 years. Cheers! Mabuhay ang pag-asa ng Bayan!
No comments:
Post a Comment