Sunday, February 13

A Most Brilliant Star

Tala came to me on a Tuesday night, after a long day at work.

It was late, and Bubba took me home after a dinner with Gema. Hers were stories of utter betrayal and abuse by her (now) ex-boyfriend, and I sat and listened to all of it, feeling her anger and pain but not really knowing what to do with it. It was an awful thing to go through. Hopefully no one I know will ever have to go through this. I hope it's the last time this happens to her.

And so Bubba and I set off for home, feeling drained and myself increasingly depressed because I was going back to a place that was sucking away all my strength and good feeling. But as we pulled away from UP, he gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers! And the evening seemed less heavy.

We drove, and when we got to my house, he stayed a while longer, making a big fuss of me keeping away the prototype ring I lent him. We were shuffling all around the house, around the room, tidying up, and he kept asking questions regarding the lore of rings: where should you wear it? what happens when you have the wedding band? etc. Finally half an hour later, he announces he's about to leave.

He kisses me on the forehead and says, "di ako pinapansin," and he chuckled. I looked up from the magazine I was browsing and gave him a hug and apologized. He said, that's okay, and will please put that ring away---the prototype was sitting on a stack magazines and books. So I picked it up, and walked to my dresser where its box was. As I picked up the box, I noticed another ring inside it. I held my breath, blinked my eyes, and I was sure that it was a prettier, more elegant ring.

I opened it and there she was: Tala was shining her multi-faceted smile at me. Bubba put the ring on my finger and hugged me, and he asked "Do you like it?" I said, "It's perfect!"


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi data. u've got a really pretty ring there..

Anonymous said...

How did i miss this entry??? LOL that was too sweet :)