Sunday, February 6

A Luncheon in February

February 2006, that is. We went a-hunting for our wedding reception venue yesterday and we covered a lot of ground! I had shortlisted a coupls of venues that would keep with my idea of a garden setting. So first on our list was the Orchidarium in Manila.


photo by data
It was even prettier in the daytime than in the evening. I was here once, on a dinner date with Bubba, and we liked it then. We like it even more with the sun streaming through the trees and gardens. Plus the food at Lush Life, it's official caterer, was very good. We got a good look at the potential set up: there was a wedding happening in the late afternoon and chairs were being set up already. Bubba and I waited til 12, the time of our reception next year, just to simulate how it would look and feel.

The verdict: it would be hot! There were some gentle gales blowing, but predominantly, it would be sunny-warm, and so we would need tents. The ground where the event would be held was cemented, which meant heat would get absorbed into the pavement. If it rained (which i hope will not come to pass), the guests would huddle under the tents or they could run into the restaurant nearby, which, unfortunately was big enough for 60-70 people. One of my concerns was the bathrooms: there were none in the open-air venue, of course. Guests would have to enter the resto or the admin affice to take a pee or retouch. Worse, the bathroom was only big enough for one person. And when I had to use it, I couldn't find the light switch, and peed in the darkness.

photo by data

In all, we'd be spending a whopping P51,500 for venue arrangements alone. Flowers and styling not included. Food not included. However their buffet menus were quite affordable: their most sosy menu was just P700, and the food mentioned was delectable.

photo by data

Then we went to Makati to check out the Courtyard. Quite a disappointment: it was simply an elevated block of cement behind the library. There was a reception being set up here, too, and at least we got to see how it was possible to transform the place. We inquired regarding the prices for venue rental and they were cheaper than the Orchidarium by about 60%. Plus, if we decided to get caterers not in their list of preferred suppliers, we wouldn't have to pay any corkage fee (unlike Orchidarium, which required 12%of the gross cost).

The verdict: cheap, accessible, but not really the venue of my dreams. This would be pretty at night with the Makati lights twinkling, and votive candle flame dancing in the breeze. But in the daytime, at high noon? I don't think so.

Next we crossed over to the Manila Peninsula. We visited their Conservatory, and right away, Bubba and I felt good here. It seated 150-165 people and it had large glass windows that allowed the sunlight to stream in. The place looked cozy and intimate enough, and I liked the fact the place was in a controlled environment, allowing us to decorate it well. Bathrooms were accessible, and the food was good (well, we had churros, chocolate, coffee and a cheese cake).

The verdict: Number one on our list. I guess, if i can't have a real garden wedding reception, I could simulate one. And at least the Pen is a good place to do that. There are a lot of amenities as well, and we can even assure everyone they'd be comfortable.

Hah! There. We'll be checking out the Mandarin this week. We'll see which one catches our fancy more, and which fits our budget nicely. :) Hopefully we finally get to book a venue this week.

No comments: