Tuesday, September 26

I've got a crush on Hugh

Saw the movie SCOOP last Saturday and was at first horrified to find out, once I was seated in the theater, that it was a Woody Allen movie. I never liked Allen movies. I just found them too talk-y and regarded Allen as such a wannabe. Apparently, everyone wanted to be Woody, I was told. I never really understood that. So I just kept my mouth shut eversince. Especially when I felt like calling him a pedophile.

So anyway, we were in the theater and only then did it register that apart from Scarlett Johansson, the movie also starred Hugh Jackman. Fine. I regarded Jackman as "one of those ctors" after I saw Kate and Leopold. It was soooooo corny I totally forgot he was in it. In the X-Men movies, I was watching Ian McKellen and Halle Berry more than Jackman, but found the character of Wolverine very convincing. Didn't care to see Van Helsing at all; or even Swrodfish. But I caught Swordfish on Star Movies and I respected him a little. But after SCOOP, I have begun to see him in a totally different light.

I guess it's because he played a "normal" person in this movie. In the past, he always seemed to play a character, so I felt like I never really "saw" him. Granted that SCOOP didn't really give him much to work with. But at least here, he wasn't playing a character out of a graphic novel or a duke from the 18th century. He was a person (more like a serial killer) but he was one of us.

I have begun searching fan sites for info on him and found that he was married, has two kids and is also an accomplished stage actor. He won a Tony! He also seems very laid back and totally oblivious (and sometimes reluctant) to the fact that he is a Hollywood sex symbol. I find that refreshing. His Aussie-ness seems to constantly shine through, hehe.

I found this really great site that has most of his tv appearances, performances, movie trailers and interviews (the photos here are from that site too!). Totally engaging and entertaining, if you have enough time and strength to absorb all this Hugh-ness. It can be overwhelming.

But I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

No comments: