Monday, September 18

Seven months on

I realized this morning that we hit our seventh month as a married couple today. Not that there's any particular significance. I think it felt more like, wow, it's been seven months, but it's as if we've been doing this all our lives.

And now at seven months, what have I learned? I learned that I can still do my own thing. I can go shopping on my own and do things on my own. I can spend for things without having to feel guilty. I'm more tolerant, more patient with my husband's indiosyncrasies; we can disagree on many things without me being afraid of hurting his feelings, or him hurting mine.

At sevenmonths, and working with him daily, I have also come to many realizations, one of which is the direction I want my career to take. I have tried many times not to let my work define me. But shouldn't that be one of the considerations? You should like what you do, and in a way it defines you and your output. So you have to be happy doing what you're doing.

Don't get me wrong. I like what I'm doing now. And there's so much I've learned. But everyday, I wonder, is this really where I was meant to end up? I feel like there's something that still needs to be done elsewhere. There's something I need to do. Maybe there's something I need to prove.

And so that's how I mark this seventh month. Hopefully it not only helps define what I would want my career to look like, and be; but also helps me become a person for my husband and my family.

No comments: