They measured it to be 8 meters in diameter. Everything around it shattered to unrecognizable bits. Despite those inane bag checks and stern looks from security guards at the mall's entrance, they missed it. And 8 people and a hundred others were injured -- not to mention the money lost by businesses because of the mall's closing.
Glorietta Bombing
Granted, if something was meant to happen, no one could really stop it. But I can't help but think, more could have been done in the way of prevention. Sure, you can't have security guards posted everywhere. But they could have come up with a better strategy. I don't know why they never thought of trying random searches, which statistically can deter mischief. Why not invest in CCTV cameras? It's been proven to work. What's more, tapes can be reviewed and perpetrators identified.
If the Ayalas take their businesses seriously, they should take their clients' security seriously too. Invest in the cameras, invest in a good security strategy. Train the security, for one, to actually look inside bags, and people's faces -- not talking to each other while waving everyone to enter. PAY ATTENTION! That's all they need to do, when you come to think of it. That shouldn't be too expensive to teach. Plus, the money spent for it will be significantly less than the losses they've already experienced. (As of press time, an estimated P100 million in losses have been calculated)
They're saying stricter measures will be implemented so we're to expect longer lines at the train stations, at the mall entrances, etc. Before they do anything even stupider I wish they'd stop to think about its effectiveness. I don't mind the security checks. I just wish they'd actually work for a change!
No comments:
Post a Comment