Saturday, October 21

The Earth Shakes

I felt the earthquake last night---rather early this morning, at around 2am. I was still at the computer, when I felt the chair shake. I got up and called to Benc who calmed me down. I was still trembling when I put on a pair of pants and located my slippers, in case the quake got stronger. Thankfully, it didn't.

Earthquakes are probably the natural disasters I fear the most. I feel like I'd be totally helpless as the ground shakes beneath me, and everything around me tumbles down. Things are even scarier now that I was reminded by recent events abroad about our own Marikina fault line -- which runs right under our 29-floor condo building -- and the fact that we live on the 11th floor of a condo unit. Here, the tremors feel stronger.

The earthquake actually struck at ten in the evening of Friday and what we felt were actually aftershocks...which means we were probably on the road at around ten, when we came from Nikko's lola's wake in Manila, when the real earthquake struck.

Still, it was scary. I broke out in a cold sweat and all, and didn't get to sleep til around three in the morning. I guess you could say I was shaking more than the ground was, hehehe. I'm still waiting for news of the effects in Marinduque. Hope no one was hurt. We don't need another big catastrophe at Christmastime.

5 comments:

Marj and Carlos said...

There was an earthquake? Hmmm. Didn't feel it. Pero buti na lang since earthquakes freaks me out totally.

u l a n said...

i felt the aftershocks as well. i thought i was just tired from the day's work (i was up at 6 and by 2am i was still in the office assembling our episode).

i thought i was just woozy!

Mik said...

Data, earthquakes are my number one big fear and I had my share of them when I was still living at my Makati apartment on the 27th floor... buti na lang walang earthquakes dito. Hope you're doing well!

u l a n said...

data, your tagboard keeps firing up a password dialog box! do i need to type one in?

Anonymous said...

sabi ko na nga ba, i saw a news flash kaya lang nagmamadali ako that time.