And that's that! The Coen brothers win again, for No Country for Old Men, Daniel Day-Lewis was triumphant the second time for There Will Be Blood, and Diablo Cody (she's female pala!) for Juno. Hoooray!
I suppose it was a show of substance, and that movies with controversial themes now have a fighting chance. I like when Tilda said Hollywood is built on Europe, and that now, hopefully they're taking their cues regarding substance and style from that culture.
I love European and Latin American movies. They tackle themes that may not be grand, but are extremely significant to audiences and "ordinary people". Sure I appreciate the occassional Transformers-type flick. Hey, FOTR, TTT and ROTK was pretty Hollywood too. And so was Ratatouille. But mostly I am entertained by the quiet elegance of films like Juno or even Little Miss Sunshine.
It was a good year for good movies. Now to watch the winners. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment