Thursday, February 14

Croup

It's possible the worst part of this whole disease. I had to find that out for myself for the past 4 nights without anyone telling me, or warning me.

What's with doctors today? Don't they know the basics anymore, or are they just too afraid to make diagnoses and be accountable for them?

Croup is a violent form of viral cough. It can be caused by any viral disease (even the ordinary flu), but is associated with ones like mumps, measles and chickenpox. It's violent because it racks your whole body and batters your lungs. The cough is so strong, it makes you gag. I mean, seriously gag. The most cruel part is that it ALWAYS happens in the middle of the night, when you're supposed to get your most peaceful rest, to allow you to get well from the illness. It disappears during the day, but it suddenly grips you in the evening.

In truth, I felt like a rag doll someone grabbed by the ankles and slapped around on the floor or table. In fact, I had been afraid of the evening coming on for the past few days because I knew it would happen again.

I think I was doubly afraid because I didn't know what it was. So I had to do my own research. According to the Net, it would clear up in 4 to 7 days. The cough could cause injury to the throat and soreness to the voicebox which could result in infection. Good thing the doc gave me some antibiotics, but he didn't tell me about this cough.

The remedies for severe cases would be some sort of steroid aerosoles. Extreme cases usually resulted in trips to the ER and direct administration of the steroid. Now, this scared me. But I focused on home management. It said I just needed either steam, as in a damp bathroom. Or even just a breath of fresh evening air. Simple enough, yes. But after the episodes, I'd be so drained and painful all over. Then the fever would return.

But the last two nights I found another way: I'd dampen a face towel and put it near my face. My throat needed moisture to keep it from itching up. I'd still cough, but I'd be able to sleep and rest. At least I've been able to recover a little at a time.

The rashes from the measles have all but disappeared now, but my body still hurts. I'm hoping the viral cough has cleared up a little bit as well. We'll know tonight. I'm keeping my fingers cossed that hopefully tonight, things will be better. :-)

No comments: