Thursday, February 14

Ich spreche Deutsches

Napapa-German ako sa kati ng German Measles. GEDDEMIT!

I think I've been sick with it for a week. The rashes manifested Saturday night, along with a mild fever and really painful lymphnodes. I went to the hospital as soon as I saw the rashes, but the stupid resident couldn't give me a direct and specific answer, despite the bloodtest. She just kept saying it was a viral infection. And she prescribed an effing expensive cough suppressant.

On Sunday the rashes got really bad, and I went to a different doctor. And that's where I confirmed what I already knew. German Measles nga. But wait! There's more! The doc took a look at the test results, and said I had a bacterial infection, which is probably causing my cough, and I was immuno-compromised. So he prescribed an antibiotic and an immunity booster.

So, lesson no.1: if you want a medical opinion, go not to WCMC in Aurora (formerly QCMC). But if it's a real emergency just make sure you don't get the resident named Cordova. No bedside manner whatsoever, and no conviction in making diagnoses.

According to my readings, GM is caused by a virus and can be transmitted thru air droplets. Lesson no 2: if someone coughs or sneezes, cover your mouth and nose quick, and don't breathe it in. Same token with you: if you have a cough or cold, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, because you may be a carrier. GM doesn't show up until 2.5 weeks after exposure. (note: if anyone from Munik's party is reading this, don't worry. I didn't cough or sneeze near anyone, so, you should all be ok).

Lesson no.3: sometimes, flu-like symptoms precede the fever and rash, usually a week before. So don't take it lightly. You never know. The doc said it's the season for viral infections. I guess what got me as well was my low resistance. I think it's because of the exhaustion from the long bus rides to and from CV, getting up so early, and getting home so late. Add to that being crushed in a sea of humanity in the MRT, and you've got the perfect cocktail for a viral infection.

So lesson no. 4 is, build up your immunity. Stock up on vitamin C and other minerals, eat well, and drink lotsa water.

GM is no joke! I could hardly sleep last night from the itching. GAAAAHHHHH! So keep healthy everyone!

No comments: