So where were we?
Ah, yes. The laughing congregation. It was a nice touch. Even Our Tito Bishop (Most Rev. Bishop Jose S. Palma) was laughing. Tito Bishop has been a part of my mom's family for as long as I can remember, having been sponsored by my grandparents since his student days, all the way to his ordination. Before my lolo died, Tito Bishop (then Father Joe) promised that he would wed all my lolo's apos and children if they so wished. And here he was.
The ceremony proceeded without a hitch. The readings were read by the Divas, MArla, Benc's good friend from college, and the 5 and Up Kids. I particularly loved listening to the readings and psalms as they were finally read--elements of the missalette that Benc and I fought over two days before the wedding. We were being advised by a local priest to use readings that espoused submission theology, but our spirits just couldn't take it. We spent hours researching til we found ones that suited us: Ecclesiates 4:9-12, 1 John 3:18-24 and John 15:9-17. We wanted readings that were not overused, that talked about love and marriage as a shared blessing, both men and women treated as equals, and had for its main theme, compassion. We wanted compassion discussed as a universal truth, and not as a sole copyright of any one faith. We felt the Ecclesiastes and John captured it best.
Then Tito Bishop gave his homily. It was a very good one too, very personalized and very contemporary. My friend Ulan put it so well: it was a homily done by a man who respected all beliefs and was attuned to the times, not one who was bound by just scripture. I wonder if he'll let me have a copy of his homily, hehe. It was one of the best and most meaningful ones I've heard in a long time, bar none.
Early on we decided we wanted our wedding day to be relaxed, if even a little bit quirky. That's why instead of lighters or match boxes for our candle sponsors, we used a couple of gigantic match-shaped lighters I purchased in Tiendesitas, which had the congregation giggling. What was of great fun was when Tito Bishop tripped over the lines we typed into the missalette when it came time to kiss the bride. We wrote: "Data you may now kiss Benc." He stopped and stammered and said, as if correcting it "Uh, Benc, you may kiss the bride." This really worked up the crowd, and amidst the hearty laughs, Benc and I kissed for the first time as a married couple.
The customary photos were done, and then the recessional (wherein Benc got pelted with a whole rosebud in the face) and then some poses by the cliffside. My mom joined our pictorials then, and she shed the tears she had been keeping in check for the whole week. But she quickly regrouped and we all headed to Jan and Marikit Imperio's garden for the sumptuous wedding feast.
Again I was not prepared for how gorgeous it would look. I will let the photos speak for themselves, and maybe later on I will post comments from my guests, but suffice it to say it was like nothing I had expected. The garden was alive! The flowers were all abloom, and their colors seemed to merge with the lush greenness of the various plants and shrubs. The sky was a clear, clear blue and the breeze was blowing cool and steady. The Trio played and the excited chatter of the guests got me all excited. At one point Marikit told me they would serve dinner early because the cocktails were wiped out. And I said by all means! I was more than ready to eat Tita Marina's masterpieces!
We were announced as we entered the dining area and as we did, forks started hitting goblets and we kissed for the people there. It was fun! I suddenly recalled how I used to do that for friends at their wedding, and now here I am at the receiving end, haha! I won't tarry here: I will just say we ate, and I mean we ATE! bagoong rice and pumpkin soup and tilapia and chicken pandan and shiitake pancit and oriental salad (with catfish flakes!) and crab croquettes and chocolate fondue and leche flan. Hayayayayay! I am proud to say I was a bride who actually ate the food at her own wedding. :) There were toasts naturally from the two MOHs and Best Men, and also from our parents, our ninong, Tito Raffy, and Ninang Cheche. Then it was time for the program to begin.
We had the traditional cake cutting/eating...well, just easting since we had cupcakes for our wedding cake. It was a gift from our friends Jason and Agay and to this day people are telling me they are craving for the cupcakes (the cake stand was placed beside the buffet early that evening and not a few guests thought it was part of dessert! Romel, one of the best men had to tell the guests not to touch it! hahahahah. But for some of the cupcakes, it was too late). I threw the bouquet, Benc threw the garter and another couple mimicked us. But there was a surprise in store: turns out my siblings prepared a number. First, my brother gave a moving speech that made us all cry. By "all" I mean all the guests. I wish I could recount it here, but doing so will remove its mystique and meaningfulness. I will just say that it was probably the most touching thing anyone has ever told me, squeezing my life and his into a few minutes that captured the essence of our bond all these years. I will never forget it. And I guess, neither will the guests.
Next, my sisters. Denise announces into the mic: "Ate Data, hindi kami papayag na ikaw lang ang bida tonight so we prepared something for you." Suddenly, the Trio strummed the opening riffs of Joni Mitchell's Circle game, and the projector screen came alive with images of me as a baby, growing up, etc. And then they sang. My sisters sang the song beautifully! They sang live as the presentation unravelled, and I cried again (Important: I cried not a few times during the reception, but no molecule of make-up came off! This was Angie's magic!). It was fabulous. I marvelled at the effort and love they put into preparing for this moment. I was so moved. I felt so loved. I felt so lucky.
Afterwards, both my parents took the mic and said their thanks and how much they loved us. My dad was more the public speaker than my mom but later on he told me he decided to keep his piece light since my brother made everyone bawl. Then we were led to the gazebo where my dad and I had our dance, and then Benc and I. Naturally my dad and I waltzed to "Speak Softly Love" and "Sunrise, Sunset." These were two his two favorites. After that, we all switched partners and my brother came to dance with me and I wept again, (and I feel like crying again now) and still no make up was out of place---I mean, I hugged him and made bilin everyone to him. And he assured me everything was going to be all right.
That night, everything WAS all right! It was--dare I say it--perfect! Simply because we achieved what we wanted from the beginning: for everyone to be a part of that day. Because it was a small affair, it was intimate and in a very relaxed setting, everyone felt they had a part in making that day special. They knew their significance--that without them, di mabubuo yung wedding party. The guests were all made up of people we knew and those who knew us intimately. And because Benc's and my path crossed many years ago, we realized many of our circles of friends merged. Therefore the event felt like one big reunion in a lovely garden on a sunny day with lots of good food and music. You can never beat celebrating among your most loved friends and family (remembering the fact that they drove all that way to be with us makes touches me no end, and it has shown me just who my true friends are). And this is what we got. And this made it perfect.
I wish the same thing for every marrying couple. And I wish them to relieve the same feeling over and over ever after.
No comments:
Post a Comment