Sunday, March 27

Holy Week that was

This year, I abstained from lazing around in the sun and surf and enjoying myself from the absence of work.

This year I cooked three meals for ten people in two days, developed a cold, slept in a cramped sofa bed and continuously swept around the house. I am obsessed with white-tiled floors now.

The whole family spent Holy Thursday thru Saturday at the new condo where Bubba and I cooked and cleaned and entertained and collapsed into bed exhausted. If that's not sacrifice I don't know what is. At least we got a taste of what it was like to feed a family...because we were feeding mine! Egad. Now I know how hard my mom worked, how difficult it was for my folks to stay up late after a horrible day at the office just to help us with homework.

I kept wondering, how did they do it? How will I do it? Already I was losing patience and getting all worked up about the cleanliness of the house and the dark spots on the floor that they brought in from swimming. I'd be absolutely horrified and would snap at my sisters for sitting on the sofa in their wet suit and shorts--in fact I wanted to bop them on the head. I was absolutely put out by washing the dishes, but had to because we only had sets of four, and people had to take turns sometimes, which meant, washing what was used right away. So they could eat. Bubba and I usually ate last.

We were the first ones up, to prepare breakfast, and the last ones to bed. It was exhausting. And though I love cooking and working in the kitchen, going at it for two straight days and cleaning up just really got to me. Til now, I can feel the exhaustion in my bones, and I'm getting anxiety attacks again with what's waiting for me at the office.

The biggest consolation was being able to wake up with Bubba for two straight mornings, not counting this morning in Pampangga. It felt good to hear him snoring beside me, and waking him with a kiss. Now that's one thing I'd never give up.

No comments: