I want to find out from all of you why you left home. I know there are some situations wherein it's necessary (you found work abroad, you got a scholarship abroad), but I would also like to hear from those who just...did it. Despite the fact that everything was provided for you--a roof over your head, free board and lodging, pressed laundry, clean rooms--in your parents' house.
Wala lang, I just want to hear from everyone else. I didn't realize there were so many of us...I was always of the mind that Filipino kids never leave their parents' houses unless they were getting married. Consider this my attempt at finding a support group. I'm just curious:
1. Why did you leave home?
2. How did you cope?
I hope you don't mid if I post your reactions here. Or maybe you can PM me and then I'll post it.
Thanks all!
6 comments:
i left home april last year because i found work abroad. i know its insane when come to think of it i also enjoy the same priviledges that you mentioned--- pressed laundry, home cooked food, maids, my sister or my mom drove for me when they have to, weekend gimmicks, friday night outs! and my salary there is above average already so why migrate and be alone? my answer is just one word... INDEPENDENCE. never experienced it before even in college so i did it for myself besides the reason of earning extra bucks. how did i cope? used to call my bf everyday (but now its only every other day since we are saving) and call home once a week, my laptop is my constant companion--- surfing the web, reading w@w emails, blogging, yahoo messenger, chikka text (enables me to text my friends free and they could reply for only a small charge) and watching abscbn shows through the internet (minsan kahit corny na pinapatulan ko basta nagtatagalog---pathetic!), shop. i used to live alone in a studio but now i transfered with a friend who also works at the same unit where i work. really a big difference when you get home and you know you have someone with you. hirap talaga ng mag isa kaya nga i see to it i get home at least twice a year (kahit hirap mag overtime and grave yard shift just to buy a plane ticket). really there's no place like home. i could relate with your heartaches because im in the same situation as you do. isipin mo na lang it will do you good and will make you a much stronger and better person. cheer up! the world awaits to be explored in a new light. enjoy the beauty of being alone because when you get married you will have a constant companion at your side. =)
I started leaving home in mid-1999. I said 'started' because I'd be away for a year, then come back to my parents' house, stay for some months, go abroad again, and so on.
I left the coop because I like adventure. I like seeing new things, exploring new places, being away from my comfort zone. I also want to be different. I like having stories that my friends and family can only hear from me. So I dare myself to dream and dream big.
How did I cope? I decided first of all that not getting over homesickness would be stupid. I can choose to spend my money on overseas phone calls to my family or spend it going on trips to places I have only dreamed of before. I chose the latter.
It's not that I don't miss the company of people I love. I do and I do often. But my family and friends constantly reassure me that they're very happy for me and very proud that I choose to take the road less travelled. My mother even says that they need me to be away and to find my place under the sun because it's when I do that I give them the chance to live their dreams through me.
That thought comforts me and sets me free when I feel like I should stay and hold on to them.
I left for the US in 1998. Even though I have a sure job after graduation, esp since I would be getting it because of my dad. I applied to residency programs in the US, got the position in one of the top programs all on my own. It's a sense of accomplishment, on doing things and getting things on your own merit that pushed me to leave. Even if I left a boyfriend (now an ex) here, I felt I need to do things for myself and for my own career.
I coped quite well actually. I was happy to live on my own. Seeing that the things in my apartment are things I bought with my own money and are of my own choosing gave me extreme satisfaction. Although I miss my parents my bf at that time and my friends; I would do it all over again. There were plenty of things to explore in a new country.
Pwede na kayo maghabulan ng nakahubad!
living at my family's home in las pinas prevented me from having a life -- not that my family was the one doing the preventing, but the ridiculous distance of my home to everything else. i spent most of what should've been my free time travelling 3 hours (one way) from work to home.
left home when i was 25(?), and did ok, i guess. family helped me with the adjustment, but mostly all the adjustment that had to be done were logistics.
other than that, emotionally i mean, i didn't do any adjusting.
i think i was born to leave home.
(and then just visit weekends to have some decent food and homey company)
hi data! a year into work, i had to be based overseas most of the time. after working for 5 years in the company, i decided to jump ship and go work abroad. being the eldest child, i almost always had my way. which meant i shared very little in the chores when i was home. so on my first trip abroad, my mom cried buckets anguishing on who was going to iron my clothes and cook my food. lo and behold i survived. my overseas trips early on were fun and exciting for the first 3 weeks, then it went downhill from there. so coming home to manila was always a joy. then i had to make the so drastic decision to move overseas permanently. still the lure of travel in europe was enticing but soon enough i eventually got tired of it.
being on my own taught me not only to be independent, it thought me to enjoy my solitude. all of a sudden, i didnt need company to enjoy travel and to experience new things. i was happy on my own.
BUT, it also thought me to cherish the times i have with my family and friends, including boyfriend. i realize how precious these times are and boy do i always grab the chance to enjoy, live and experience life with them.
this is one thing i recommend to friends. to be on your own. only then will you know who you really are and what you are capable of. your time alone allows you to gauge your life, your relationships, your goals. and being on your own opens your mind and heart to many things you will not think of or feel when you are with others.
Post a Comment