Monday, August 1

The floor is now open for your

comments. I repeat: COMMENTS. No laughing please. I feel awkward as it is posting these here, but I know that to get opinions I will have to grin and bear it. No matter how much this makes me squirm.

(trumpets and drumroll here) I now humbly present, for your scrutiny my first trial make-up session!

This session was done with Barbi Chan, make-up to artist to the stars, a favorite make-up artist for Cosmo and Preview, having done the faces of HEart Evangelista, Amanda Griffin, Rya Mananquil, etc. Now she can say she has done the face of Data Tolentino! Bwahahahaha.

Okay, here they are. I would appreciate gentle comments. There are short annotations as the photos unfold. Er, enjoy!

--> I was intrigued when Barbi mentioned her airbrush technique. According to her it's what stars like JLo and Julia R used to look really natural. And she was right: the make-up did have a more natural finish. Plus it felt really light. She used MAC and Shu Uemura items, and the colors were pretty.

My hair was to be made up in soft curls that would fall in nice tendrills. The nice lady who did my hair applied warmed curlers that helped my hair set in twenty minutes.

Now here's the outcome of those thirty minutes. Barbi was going for a soft, ethereal look. Tell me if it was achieved:
Here's a frontal view. I think I look more Chinese than ethereal.

And here's an angled view. I think I need to grow my hair a lot longer.

My mom and sister said my eyes needed more definition and my eyebrows needed more shaping. So she did just that (my mom) and here's what I looked like after the minor "surgery":

My hair got tired of being all curled up and straightened. But I think my mom's idea worked.

I still haven't decided. It is, after all my first trial. I have an upcoming trial on Sunday. At least I know now what to request. Phew! I got tired just sitting and smiling, and deciding whether or not I liked the look or not. But at least one of those present during the session didn't seem to mind if I looked haggard or ethereal:

11 comments:

Pia said...

pretty pretty! i like how you looked after your mom's magic tweezing... love the last photo especially. =)

gra said...

hey data. you are so pretty. but i think you should have another go or trial to get the ethereal look you want.

maybe more of a shimmer? i really don't know. hehehe.

and clean your eyebrows! hehehe. tata!
mwah!

Glo said...

di ka mukang chinese, muka kang koreana! I need to stop watching korean soaps!

Data Tolentino-Canlas said...

GRA! yes, i know! my eyebrows are a perennial problem. haha!

Data Tolentino-Canlas said...

glo--oh how right you are! korean is more apt. but, oh, i luv them koren flicks! hehe. i think the foundation needs a more bronze tint, eh?

Marj and Carlos said...

The make-up looks fresh and clean. Not quite the ethereal look yet. Regarding your eyebrows, I highly recommend threading. Just got mine done at Emphasis salon with Mae and I'm quite happy with the results. Try it!

Data Tolentino-Canlas said...

Marj--masakit yun diba? Afraid ako! :) ehehehe. I think "ethereal" doesn't fit me so much. I'm a really earthy person. I'll try a dewy sun-kissed look next! Thanks, sis!

Nette said...

I don't know anything about make-up, since i don't use one myself.

Comment: it looks natural... i don't know if it's good or bad.

Go with Marj suggestion for the eyebrows, it will open up your eye more.

bakya said...

i think the curls should be less stiff. or bigger. or tousled hair na lang hehe. i think your sisters did a pretty good retouch :)in my opinion, you look better in a half pony than that defined "hati sa scalp" look.

Joanne and Rene said...

hey data you look very pretty. very natural looking yung make up. =)

Anonymous said...

si jennilyn ka eh. :)